Submit an application for a married relationship Permit
Both you and your future spouse must appear in person at the Clerk’s Office in an Indiana county where one of you resides to apply for a marriage license in Indiana. For out-of-state residents, submit an application for a permit within the Indiana county where in fact the wedding shall be solemnized.
Before you make an application for a married relationship license, become acquainted with the process outlined below.
1: have you been eligible become hitched in Indiana?
Age. The Clerk can issue a married relationship permit if:
- Both candidates are 18 years old or older;
- One or both candidates are 17 and parents or appropriate guardians are current to offer permission;
- One or both applicants are more youthful than 17 and have now a court purchase giving authorization to get a wedding permit;
Exclusions. The Clerk cannot issue a wedding permit if:
- Either applicant is intoxicated by medications or alcohol whenever applying;
- Candidates are far more closely relevant than second cousins (though there clearly was an exclusion if you’re very first cousins and both at the very least sixty-five (65) years old).
- Either applicant is judged to be of unsound brain, unless the adjudication was eliminated.
- Either applicant is an eternity intercourse or offender that is violent unless the average person submits an affidavit saying underneath the charges of perjury that the person has supplied written notice for the man or woman’s (A) intent to marry, and (B) meant married title; into the neighborhood police force authority into the county of conviction plus in the individual’s county of residence.
See Indiana Code 31-11 to find out more about state wedding rules.
2: When to use
A married relationship permit is legitimate for 60 times through the date its given, and partners can be hitched as soon as the same time. Partners that do not marry in the 60 times must apply for a brand new permit before marrying.
3: things to decide to try the Clerk’s workplace
Recognition. Make sure to bring one of several after types of recognition to show your identification and date of delivery:
- Present, legitimate motorists license or state-issued ID card
- Birth Certification
Indiana state legislation (IC 31-11-4-6) includes “any written proof of the patient’s date of delivery this is certainly satisfactory towards the clerk.” In addition, if this paperwork is with in almost any language apart from English, it may be required to contain it translated and notarized before submitting it into the clerk. The clerk’s office in advance to ensure you have all the required documents because local policies vary by county, please contact.
You will additionally be necessary to offer your Social Security Number, although your Social Security Card may possibly not be needed.
You will need to provide the date your marriage ended if you were previously married. In addition, some counties demand a copy that is certified of divorce or separation decree.
Genealogical Suggestions. The Clerk’s workplace will collect some family members information away from you that’ll be reported towards the Indiana State Library (for legal reasons) for the true purpose of genealogical research. You shall have to offer the after for both moms and dads:
- Complete Name
- Final understood target
- Birthplace (state or international nation)
4: Just How Much It Expenses
The wedding permit charge is $18 if an individual or both ongoing events are Indiana residents and $60.00 for out-of-state residents. Some workplaces also charge a document that is additional of $2.00. Each content associated with marriage that is certified (required for name modification at BMV, SSN, etc.) normally $2.00. Many counties need these costs become compensated in money.
Willing to Apply?
You can apply at the Clerk’s Office in the county where you plan to file if you are eligible as outlined above, have all the necessary documentation, and you’re ready to apply for a marriage license.
You time at the Clerk’s Office while you will still have to appear at the Clerk’s Office to complete the process and receive your license (as required by law), starting your application online will save.